Happy holidays from all of us at Sidekick! To get in the spirit, our therapists have compiled a list of wonderful organizations to support the populations we serve this holiday season. Check them out below!
- Feeding Matters: Feeding Matters is the first organization in the world working to improve the system of care for pediatric feeding disorders. It is estimated that 1 in 37 children under the age of 5 is affected by pediatric feeding disorders, so it is the goal of Feeding Matters to provide education, advocacy, and research to best serve those children. Check out more here! -Haley Simpson, M.S., CCC-SLP
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital: St. Jude's is dedicated to finding cures and ways to prevent childhood cancers. Children that go to St. Jude's for treatment are there at NO cost-- St. Jude's pays for the treatment, food, housing, and even gas to get there and back. The majority of funds comes from individual donations. While St. Jude's main hospital facility is in Memphis, TN, I did an internship at their Johnson City affiliate clinic as a PT student, where I met their incredible teams of doctors, nurses, therapist, and child life specialists. Learn more at this link! -Cheyenne Allen, PT, DPT
- Spark: Spark is an organization that helps makes technology accessible to people with disabilities in the Eastern Tennessee area. Learn more at their website! -Sarah Wikum, M.S., CCC-SLP
- CASA for Kids, Inc: This organization was formed to promote and support professionally trained Court Appointed Special Advocates for abused and neglected children in need of safety, stability, and permanency, brought to the attention of the Juvenile Courts, giving them the opportunity to thrive. Court Appointed Special Advocates® (CASA) are community volunteers, just like you, who stand up and speak out to help abused and neglected children. The CASA Volunteer must determine if it is in a child’s best interest to stay with his or her parents or guardians, be placed in foster or relative care, or permanent adoption. Check them out! - Whitney Castle, PT, DPT
- Compassion Closet: Compassion Closet is an organization that works to provide items of necessity to foster families in the Eastern Tennessee area. Learn more! - Sarah Wikum, M.S., CCC-SLP
We hope you and yours have a safe and happy holiday season!