Keep Kids Active this Summer!
It is important for us to keep our kiddos active during the summer months. I am going to list various ideas to keep in mind for fun ways to incorporate physical activity this summer!
Exercise has many benefits for children:
- Develops coordination and basic motor skills
- Builds muscle and bone strength
- Reduces risk of obesity, heart disease, and diabetes
- Builds confidence
- Increases the child's ability to focus and concentrate when back in school
Fun ways to stay active with your kids:
- Local summer camps! These provide your child with a way to stay in touch with their friends and maintain social skills.
- Go on a hike
- Yoga first thing in the morning to start their day
- Go to a local pool or lake
- Have your kids help you in the garden
- Ride a bike
- Jump on a trampoline
- Have a balloon toss
- Play soccer, basketball, or football!
- Walk/play in the park
- Play Hide and Seek
- Play Simon Says
- Scavenger hunt (see our blogs on nature, beach, lake, and park for ideas!)
- Indoor/outdoor obstacle course
- Play Twister
- Balloon volleyball
- Hula hoop
- Play tag
- Bowling with plastic cups
- Water sprinkler
- Walk the dog
- Go berry/fruit picking
- Go on a picnic
- Visit outdoor historical sites, the zoo, or museums
- Play miniature golf
- Go fishing
- Jumping rope
Have a fun, active, and safe summer!
-Krystan Inman, COTA/L